World Lymphoma Awareness Day
World Lymphoma Awareness Day (WLAD) is on Thursday 15 September.
WLAD is an international effort to raise much-needed awareness about lymphoma. Lymphoma is increasing in incidence globally; an increase which is reflected in New Zealand where:
- Lymphoma is the sixth most common cancer in New Zealand
- Lymphoma is one of the most common cancers in 15-24 year olds
- Close to 900 people in New Zealand are diagnosed with lymphoma every year
- Lymphoma is more common than leukaemia
LBC is a member of the international Lymphoma Coalition which aims to raise awareness about lymphoma.
World Lymphoma Awareness Day 2016 #KnowYourSubtype
Did you know that lymphoma has more than 60 subtypes and that treatments and outcomes vary hugely?
This year on World Lymphoma Awareness Day, we’re joining the Lymphoma Coalition in encouraging patients, caregivers, the healthcare community and the general public to insist on subtype-identification when talking about lymphoma.
The LBC Support Services team will be visiting hospitals around the country to share information about lymphoma with health-professionals and patients.
We’ll also be sharing patient stories and information about lymphoma on social media, including tips for recognising the signs and symptoms of blood cancer.
- Use the hashtags #KnowYourSubtype and #WLAD to talk about the type of lymphoma you or a loved one has on World Lymphoma Awareness Day
- Visit LBC on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and share our posts
- Talk to your family and friends about recognising the signs and symptoms of a blood cancer. You can find more information about the most common signs and symptoms here.
- Leukaemia & Blood Cancer New Zealand on Youtube – we have produced a series of videos featuring six New Zealanders sharing their experiences of being diagnosed with lymphoma.
- bloodcancercreatures.org.nz – learn more about the signs and symptoms of blood cancers
- knowyoursubtype.org – find more information about the KnowYourSubtype campaign run by Lymphoma Coalition
- knowyournodes.org.nz – test your knowledge with this online quiz
For more information head to our resources page.